Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Finished Quilt Blues





I'm feeling a little blue today, and I think it's because I finished a large quilt yesterday. It's very odd that finishing a project would make me feel sad, but it always happens. I guess it's because I enjoy my quilting so much and each quilt is like a part of me and when I finish I have to let them go (kind of like raising children) Luckily there is a cure, just start a new one!


This quilt was an alchemy project through Etsy. I had to finish quilting 5 1/2 blocks, quilt the borders and put a binding on. It was backed with a sheet so I thought the quilting would be a little more difficult, but it really wasn't so bad. The owner was a little embarassed by her beginning stitches, but I thought they were lovely, you know everyone begins somewhere, and I don't think any one should put down their first efforts at anything! Her piecing was very nice, and it's a great example of a sampler quilt.


I was happy to be a part of finishing up this project so it could be used instead of stored in a closet - I think quilts deserve to be finished and loved! Each one means something special and unique to its maker, and it really gives me great joy to be a part of such a project.


The owner chose to have me machine quilt the border, so I did it with diagonal lines, I always thing this looks nice, and gives th border a good weight so it hangs well on the bed. The binding was machine stitched, I found a nice blue to frame it well.


So, today I will work on a baby quilt to get me perked up a bit, then this afternoon I have a wedding dress to finish altering and a set of men't shirts to cut out and prep for a sewing marathon this week! Wish I could spend a week just quilting, but the shirts will buy the groceries, so I can't complain about that. At least I can spare a couple of hours a day to do what I love!

No comments: