Wednesday, August 31, 2011

School Days, School Daze


I can hardly believe that the first day of school is right around the corner. We are in the midst of registration, and tonight my baby will perform on the Dance team for the first time of her Senior year. I'm trying to enjoy all of these times and not be sad, but once in a while it hits me that this is the "last time" we will be enjoying these times.

My oldest daughter started kindergarten 25 years ago, and for all these years I have happily prepared and sent my girls off to be taught all the wonderful things you learn in school. How to write your letters and do math and give a speech. Finding out that there are all kinds of people in the world and you have to get along with them the best you can. Learning to be independent and do your homework and show up when you are supposed to. All 5 girls have done well, and now I am down to the last year. Where does time go?

I started quilting at around the same my oldest started school, so I've been quilting for 25 years, too - I have to remind people of this when they see some of my "collection". It has taken me a long time to accumulate all those quilts, and the skills needed to create them. It is a process to learn all the skills you need to be a success, in life and in quilting, but if you don't enjoy the journey you miss out on a lot. So we enjoy the moment while we are in it, look forward to the future and what will be, and look back on the past with tears in our eyes and gratitude in our hearts.

Good lessons for life, and for quilting.


No comments: