Sunday, January 15, 2012

Project Quilting 3:1 Architectural Elements

I was excited about this challenge because I knew immediately that I would choose an inspiration piece from my Paris photos, little did I realize how hard it would be to choose one (and find time to actually complete the piece)!At first I wanted to make a piece using Notre Dame as inspiration, but as the week sped past I realized I did not have time to do justice to that project right now, but it will have to go in my "someday" list. Then I started looking for something a little more realistic with the amount of time I had to work with. I decided that this picture of the underside of the Arche de Triomphe would be just the ticket. At first I planned on doing nine squares, but piecing all those strips on took longer than I thought, so ended up settling for just a little 4 square quilt.
I dug through my stash for some nice tans and happened across that nice brown stripe that I thought would work perfectly for my dark strips. The small center blocks were a fabric that I loved and had just a little strip left, but enough for this quilt! The inner and outer light strips are the same fabric, and I used a brown print for my dividing strip and binding.
Isn't the backing perfect? It really reminds me of the inspiration photo!
I love the way the yo-yos worked for my flowers. I made them early Saturday morning and sewed them on half asleep because I had to go to a Dance Competition for my daughter and wanted to finish and post my entry so I didn't miss the deadline.
I would love to do this project larger and add pretty quilted borders to mimic the detailing in the arches. This was a really fun project to make - if you look at the flickr group there are lots more fabulous entries! Check them out and leave some comments - it's always fun to see what other people think of your work.

Have a productive week!

Pamela

5 comments:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

This turned out great! The yo-yos were a fun choice for the centers.

Patchwork Mill, Maria said...

What a beautiful quilt! Congrats Pamela!

DownHome Designs said...

Pam, what a great interpretation! The yoyos are the perfect finishing touch!

DownHome Designs said...

Pam, what a great interpretation! The yoyos are the perfect finishing touch!

teachpany said...

That is a really cool quilt. Great job.