Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Queen's Garden

Today I was excited to see the quilt I made for Henry Glass Fabric's Desire to Inspire Challenge published!  I really loved making this quilt - there was a lovely border stripe that I very much wanted to use as a focal point.  It made it very challenging as that piece was only about a yard long, limiting the size of my quilt.  I did a lot of creative measuring and plotting as I tried to make the most of what I had to use!

 It was super helpful to be able to use EQ7 to figure out my design.  I was able to import all the fabrics I had to work with and see how they would work together in the blocks.  I used the program to create many different combinations of color arrangements before finally coming up with my chosen plan.  I also used the program to figure out what size to cut all my pieces and to double check to see if I had enough yardage of the various fabrics.  It worked perfectly.  And, as you can see by the finished quilt, it's actually a pretty good approximation of what the quilt will look like!
It was a fun challenge to come up with a quilt that would show the fabrics in a pleasing way, and be enjoyable for me to create.  This type of challenge is one of my favorite things to do...it is so much fun to take fabric and make something unique out of it!  As you can see, I love star designs, piecing and on-point designs.  This was actually one of the quilts I entered in the fair, and it was the one that got a red ribbon.  

If you would like to see my interview, see the Desire to Inspire blog post.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love EQ too, so glad it is finally available for Mac. I got it in May and used it to design a Mystery quilt for my guild. I went through about 70 different designs before settling on the one I did. SO much easier and quicker than using graph paper. And to see it in the fabricsI'm using was great.