Wednesday, August 06, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Star Sampler

Other than working on the Block of the Month pile, I have been making good progress on my August UFO Challenge quilt, a Star Sampler.  This project has consisted of two magazines and two yards of a border print fabric sitting in a shoe box for a long time!  The magazines are dated from 1986 and 1991!  I started quilting in 1986 so I think I can say it's my first UFO ever :)
Both magazines give the book Sampler Supreme by Catherine Anthony as the inspiration for their projects.  Neither provided templates for the block, but that was easily accomplished using EQ7.  I decided on a 12 inch block and cut my diamond template out of heavy plastic.  I cut the corner squares and side triangles with my rotary cutter - I was just able to get enough for 9 blocks out of the fabric I chose, so that determined the number of blocks to make.  9 squares will make a nice wall hanging.  I have enough of my striped fabric to use for a border, so that will be a nice finish.

So far I have finished four blocks:




I'm really loving how differently each block comes out!  The fabric is a bit out of date, but that's what you get for letting your project sit for so long.  I'll be on the lookout for more great striped fabrics because this really is a lot of fun to do.  Lot's of y seams in these blocks, but I've done enough of those that they go pretty fast!  Hopefully by next week I'll have the rest of the blocks ready to show!  I'll have to take a good picture of the fabric so you can see what they are cut out of. 

Hope everyone else is having a good week and making progress on projects!  

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Is that a Jinny Beyer fabric? It looks very similar to fabric that I have in several color ways. I started quilting in the mid 1980's so I'm betting it is the same fabric.

I loved Stitch n Sew magazine.......lots of fun reading the articles.

Love how your stars are coming out.