Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Wednesday at home

It's rarely that I get to spend Wednesday at home because it is usually my day to work at Threads That Bind.  It feels a bit strange, to tell you the truth!  It's been a busy week, I've got several quilts prepped for quilting, so it should be a fun few days before we leave to go help with the grandkids.  I need to get off my lazy rear and go take some pictures with my real camera as the iphone pictures leave a lot to be desired.

I do have pictures of a finished project for you, though.  In the better late than never category!  This quilt is made using the blocks I designed for a short block of the month program for my local quilt shop.  I made one block for display and a second block for the finished table runner.  When I wrote the pattern I intended to make the sample blocks into a table topper or wallhanging, but they have been sitting in one of the piles I keep shuffling around my sewing room for over a year now.  On the Fourth of July they kept taunting me to finish them - after all, it is a red, white, and blue project!  So I did!

This was really an easy project to finish, just had to sew the sashing and borders, quilt and bind!  I quilted it in stars and looks.  I can't believe how easy that is for me to quilt now.  I remember the first quilt I did with stars and loops, I had such a hard time keeping my rhythm when stitching the stars - they were really odd looking.  Now I have done it enough that I don't even have to really think of it!  I was helping my grandson Cole draw stars on our last visit, and he was feeling frustrated, and I remember telling him that he just needed to practice, and that after a while it would be so easy he wouldn't even need to try to think about how to do it.  That definitely applies to machine quilting as well.  Practice, practice, practice!

Love the blue stars for sashing!  Thanks to my facebooks peeps for helping me to pick this out earlier this year - love being able to bounce my ideas off you :)

And here is a peek at the backside...more stars and a nice chunk of fabric out of my stash!  Didn't that flag fabric make a neat binding?    I love it!  The finished quilt measures 33 x 33 inches.  It is available in my Etsy shop, and if you would like to make one of your own you can buy the pattern in my Etsy shop.  It is an enjoyable quilt to make, I love working with triangles and getting the points to come out just right!

Don't forget to keep up with the My Favorite Things block hop - today was MaryEllen's day and her post is here, she is also offering a little giveaway, so be sure to leave a comment!


No comments: