Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Designing With EQ7 - celebrating 25 years!

I love using EQ7 to design quilts!  I've been using the Electric Quilt program starting with EQ5 in 2002, and have learned and grown along with the program.  I think it makes designing quilts fun and easy.  I've even taught some classes at Threads That Bind to help others learn the program.  I could not do without it for writing patterns.

I designed this project two years ago for a client that wanted a special quilt for a retirement ceremony.


She chose the colors, and I designed the quilt as a medallion, using a feathered star for the center and surrounding it with various borders.  The flying goose border is a border option in the program and for the final border I used the block preference and inserted an option from the block library.  I was able to determine fabric needed with the EQ7 program, plus when it was time to sew the quilt, I printed templates, rotary cutting sizes, and was able to audition a different background fabric easily.

Here is the resulting quilt:
She liked it so well, she commissioned me to create three more just like it this summer!  The best part was all the information was still right there on my computer - making it easy to re-create this quilt with no problem at all, because everything was right at my fingertips.

Several of the Island Batik Ambassadors use EQ7 as well - Carol of SewFunQuilts talks about Sashing and Border Fun today.

EQ7 is celebrating it's 25th anniversary this year, and the EQ Blog is celebrating with a year's worth of fun and prizes:  Do You EQ so be sure you go enter.  If you do't have EQ7, you can win it!  I'll be joining the celebration with a new post about EQ7 on the 10th of each month - I'll share some of my current and past quilts I have designed with the help of EQ7.

2 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

Gorgeous quilt. Glad to hear, as a blogger, you'll also be joining the celebration of EQ's 25th Anniversary, with a post on the 10th of each month. I too am having great fun with this event and committed to posting on the 10th of every month: Tips, Tutorials, inspirational projects with an EQ theme. And happy to include in my post a list of fellow bloggers doing the same.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Barb said...

Looks just fabulous!