Wednesday, November 23, 2016

More UFO finishes for November!

I've been having such a blast quilting now that my machine is in tip-top shape again!  Well worth the $$ spent, now I don't have to fight the skipped stitches and breaking threads like I was before.  I hadn't realized how tense it was making me - just waiting for the next time it would break, especially because it was pretty predictable.  I just knew every time I would sew in that one direction that I would either get skipped stitches or my thread would break.  Quilting is so much more enjoyable without that anxiety.

I finished both of the Double Slice layer cake quilts last week.  The first one is super fun and bright:
This fabric is Tucker Prairie by One Canoe Two for Moda.  It's such a fun set of fabric, I really love the cheerful colors and variety of prints.  I backed it with a super beautiful print with roses in pinks, yellows, and orange.
I decided to try washing this to see how the pellon batting washes up.  I was totally thrilled with the results!
This photo is comparing an unwashed quilt (above) to the washed quilt.  The difference is pretty subtle in a photograph, but very obvious in person!  The quilt shrunk up a few inches, but it is fluffier, softer and has a wonderful cuddle factor.  It is ready to go to a new home - you can purchase it here.

The second and final one is this soft, feminine version:
You can read more about the process of making this top in a previous blog post.  The fabric in this quilt is Park Avenue by 3 Sisters Design, paired with fabrics by French General - I'm not sure of the line(s) involved - but they are beautiful.  Very feminine and soft!
I used several fabrics for the back, and used up that last stripe of the border print as well!  This quilt is super pretty on both sides - which I really like.
It measures 65 x 74 - a lovely generous lap size, or large enough to top a twin size bed.  It is available here.

I have a queen size quilt ready for quilting now - it's a fun mix of fabrics as well - I've been doing a lot of these scrappy quilts lately!  I have some really exciting projects in the works - one of which is a quilt block of the month.  If you're interested in designing your own blocks, you will like this!  I'm planning on having it available at Threads That Bind as well as here on my blog - this will be a great beginner series and will really open up your eyes to the variety of classic blocks and how you can create your own blocks using a few basic units.  I was really excited about it as I was designing because there are so many possibilities!  It's going to be a lot of fun - and I've had so many people asking when I am going to do another one at the shop, they will be very happy.

We are having a quiet Thanksgiving celebration here at home.  I hope you all have a wonderful day, spend some time with family and count your blessings!  Even in discouraging days, there are good things and if you focus on the good things, the bad ones won't feel so overwhelming.  Yes, I need to remember this as well every day!  Love and Blessings to you all!


No comments: