Monday, April 17, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box - Alternate block for nine Patch unit - Nine Patch Chain

Ready for another block using Nine Patch units?  This one is another chain variation - as you can tell I'm a little fond of this type of unit, I love the way they create a secondary design on a quilt top.  This is a quick one to make, you just need to make three nine patch units, and the rest of the block is regular squares.

You will need 5 strips of a dark color and 4 strips of your background (1 1/2 x 6 inches)  Cut four squares of your background fabric (3 1/2 inches) and two of a contrasting color (3 1/2 inches).

Sew three nine patch units using the strips.  Lay out with your solid squares as I show below:
Sew units together into your complete block and you are done!  

I like to use an odd number of blocks in most of my quilts, but this block works best in even numbered configurations.  Here's a setting I liked - 
I think this would be fun with something appliqued on those corner squares...hmmm.  The Island Batik Ambassador challenge this month is Adventurous Applique - maybe this might be a start to a great idea!  One more nine patch unit block coming up next monday - and it's my favorite of the bunch.

No comments: