Monday, July 17, 2017

Alternate Block for Lozenge Unit, Quilter's Recipe Box

After a week of cleaning up my sewing room it was a real pleasure to spend time this weekend sewing!  I love how much nicer it looks, and even though there is still a lot of stuff in there, I know what all of it is and what needs to be done.

This week's block uses the Lozenge unit in the corners again, and this time I set them so they would make a frame for the center of the block:

I decided to call this block Merry Go Round.  It doesn't take long at all to sew this one up, and I think you could do lots of interesting things with the center of the block.  I decided to use a 9-patch, but wouldn't it be cute to do different mini blocks?

To make this block you will need to cut four 3 1/2 squares and four 2 x 3 1/2 rectangles of your feature fabric.  Cut eight 2 inch squares and four 2 x 3 1/2 rectangles of your background.  For the nine patch center you will need four 1 1/2 inch squares of one fabric, and five 1 1/2 squares of another fabric.

Sew the four lozenge blocks and arrange in the corners so they form a frame:
Sew your nine patch block for the center:


Next, sew the four split square blocks and place them on the sides, with the feature fabric toward the outside of the block:
Sew it all together and you have your finished block:


It's a good thing today's block was a quick one, because I have a BIG project to work on today!  A cushion for a window seat - I'll have to get back into upholstery mode for this one.  Lots of piping to go around the edges and a long zipper to make it easy to remove for cleaning.  I love a little variety in my projects, and just one cushion isn't too bad, even though it is a large one!  I'll try to remember to take a picture of the AFTER for you you - though it won't be fancy, it will look a lot nicer than the foam and batting before :)

Have a terrific day!

No comments: