Saturday, July 01, 2017

Curvalicious Quilting for the Finish!

Well, I didn't quite get my quilt for the Island Batik Ambassador challenge finished in July, but it was pretty darn close!  (If you want to see the start, click here)  I added the borders early this week, but had to finish several other projects before I could actually start quilting it.

Yesterday I managed to get all the curves quilted and part of the border, but as close as I was, I had to let the rest go for today.  The quilting was really fun, kind of a sampler of different free-motion fills.  They are all done with Aurifil thread, mostly 40 and 50 weight, but I did use 12 weight for the straight line quilting in the border and in one of the dark blue arcs.

I finished up the borders this morning, and added binding.  I was a little sad to see that it is a very friendly quilt.  Yes, the borders are waving!

I added more quilting to the border, and even gave it a wash and dry, so it's a bit better.  I suppose I should have quilted that border more because it really did lie flat before quilting :(  I might try blocking it next to see if I can get it to lie right.
But look at all that lovely texture!

It was really fun to come up with all the different quilting designs.  I love it as a sampler of different motifs!  Not one thread break even with all the tight quilting and different weights of thread, either.  Batik on the top and bottom, with cotton batting.


This was a fun challenge - it was really great to be creative and do something out of the routine for me!  The July Challenge is Oh, Baby!   I've got a plan for that one, so I'm ready to get started.

Isn't that a cute graphic?  Totally adorable!

I'm spending my weekend adding labels to a pile of quilts.  One of these days I'll make sure to label as I go.  While I'm at it I'll have to make a label for my Curvilicious quilt, but I need to figure out a name for it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for helping!

6 comments:

Barb said...

The reason why you didn't get it done on time was all that fabulous quilting....

teachpany said...

Love it! It's so pretty, and the quilting is awesome. Great job. How about Cool Curves. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, lol.

Calicojoan said...

Oh my gosh...that's just gorgeous with all the stunning quilting!

Karen E Overton said...

Don't you just love it when you have the freedom to play! The quilting is beautiful, and it shows that you were indeed having a good time. Great finish Pam!

Nancy said...

A wonderful design for a quilt. I like that each row has a different quilt design.

Unknown said...

Love the block design and the color/name of Paprika for the aurifil thread. Thank you for doing this giveaway. 🤗👍🦋 dhornbuckle@fbcgoodlettsville.com