Thursday, July 13, 2017

Sewing Room Cleanup - Day 3

Yesterday I tackled the dreaded corner.  What a mess!

Just piles of stuff.  Not very inviting, efficient or attractive.  First I pulled everything out and gave a good dust and cleaning back there.  It was very dusty, but no critters or skittering creatures, thank goodness.  All of this stuff was definitely not going back there, but I had to decide where in the world was it all going to go.

Here is how it ended up.  The filing and pattern boxes are now under the cutting table where they are a bit more accessible.  I moved one of the storage drawers to the corner.  (I will deal with the stuff on top of those tomorrow.)  Then I looked in each of the bins, baskets and box and started a list of the projects.  There were over 20!  No wonder I feel like I'm not making any headway.  I think I spend more time shuffling things around than I do sewing!

Even though the list is overwhelming, I have prioritized it and color coded it.  I have personal projects, projects for the quilt shop, projects for my Etsy shop, Pattern ideas, and projects for Island Batik.  I marked the ones that are highest in priority and will start getting those done first.  I'll never be a one project at a time kind of a person, but I think 20 is a bit overkill.  At least I won't be too tempted to start anything new for a while!

Plus, my room looks a lot more inviting without all the piles threatening to fall over!  Today, it's time to clean off the top of those storage drawers.  Who knows what treasures I will find there?  I'll show you my list as well.  Maybe it will help me to be more accountable if I actually make it public? Still thinking over how to set some goals to finish these up.  I don't want to over commit, but you know the saying, Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail.  I want to make a plan to get on top of this craziness!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Clean up - good for you! I instituted a rule for myself a few years ago - never leave the studio without putting at least 2 things away. I've stuck to it and it has made such a positive difference. Not perfect mind you, but better!

Janarama said...

Commit to finishing two UFO's/WIP's before starting a new project. Do this for a while and you'll have your UFO's/WIP's down to a more manageable number in no time flat.

Barb Neiwert said...

Congrats on a job well done! And now you have a List to work from. My sewing room was all pretty like yours . . . . until I got back from vacation and started sewing again, lol! Controlled chaos is what I like to call it.