Monday, August 28, 2017

Fields of Green - Butterfly Unit - Quilter's Recipe Box

The sky has been hazy from the fires in Oregon the past two days, and it made me think of how much I love the green fields and trees of our state.  I hope and pray that those fires will be under control soon - so many losses already.  They say that it will be hard to contain until we get a good rain, and we are just not seeing any of that in the near future.  So sad.

I was inspired to use pretty greens for this week's block and I named this one Fields of Green.

To make this block you will need three shades of green -

  • From the light green you will need:  Four 2 3/8 squares cut in half diagonally to make 8 triangles, four 2 inch squares and four 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles.
  • From the medium green you will need eight 2 inch squares (four for the butterfly units and four for the square in a square center unit)
  • From the dark green you will need four 2 3/8 inch squares cut in half diagonally to make 8 triangles, four 2 x 3 1/3 inch rectangles and one 3 1/2 inch square.

Sew eight half square units from the 2 3/8 inch triangles.  Make four butterfly units using these and four medum and four light 2 inch squares.  Also make one one square in a square unit using the remaining medium 2 inch squares and dark 3 1/2 square.
Make four split square units with the dark and light 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles.
Sew together to complete your block:
Very pretty!

I also caught up on last weeks block - Butterfly flight.  Just so you don't think I'm perfect - I had one of my butterfly units come out not so great:
Oops.  Those point were definitely off enough to warrant picking it out and re-sewing it!

And here is the finished block:
So pretty!

Stay tuned this week - I have a lot of announcements about upcoming events that you will not want to miss out on.  I am a crazy woman and am participating in two blog hops in September.  Plus taking a trip to Colorado.  Yikes!  But it should be fun and lots of great stuff to blog about!  Make sure you come back next week for a new unit and a new block pattern - only four more months to go.

Have a great day, and have fun quilting!

No comments: