Monday, October 30, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box, Star Flower Block, Variation of Split Half Square Triangle

Today's block not only uses a Split half square triangle, but it also uses a variation of the four path block.  I call this block Star Flower:

For this block I started with the following cuts:

Two 3 7/8 squares large star points (cut in half diagonally).  One 4 1/4 inch square for small star points (cut in half diagonally both ways).  One 3 1/2 square for center.  Four 2 inch squares green accent.  From Background cut four 2 inch squares, four 2 x 31/2 inch rectangles, and one 4 1/2 inch square (cut in half both ways diagonally).

Sew the quarter square triangle units together in pairs.  Sew all four of them facing the same direction as shown:
Sew the large half square triangles to these to complete your split half square triangle units.

Sew the two inch squares together into pairs, then pair them with the 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles and sew to complete the corner units and lay out as so:
I didn't like how dark the center looked, so I changed it out for bright yellow and was much happier with the look of it!

Sew together, press and admire your block!

Next week I'll have a new unit and block for you to make.  I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am - I can't wait to put my quilt top together- it's going to be so pretty.  Thanks for following along!


No comments: