Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Shocker - Quilter's Recipe Box Variation for Square in a Triangle

Finally!  My block is done and I have time to create this post - it goes to show that I should have been working ahead, but it just didn't happen this month.  In honor of our crazy weekend I have named this block "Shocker":

It was so lovely to have sunshine in my studio this morning as I worked, and I love these bright and cheery fabrics (provided by Island Batik).

This block uses four different fabrics - here are the cutting requirements - for this one I will simply call them by the colors I used:

Blue:  two 3 7/8 inch squares cut in half diagonally for the Square in a Triangle units, four 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles for Split Square units, one 3 1/2 inch square for the Square in a Square unit.
Purple:  four 2 3/8 inch squares cut in half diagonally for the Square in a Triangle units and four 2 x 2 inch squares for a Square in a Square unit
Green:  four 2 inch squares for the Square in a Triangle units.
Yellow:  four 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles for Split Square Units.

Sew four Square in a Triangle units, four Split Square units and one Square in a Square unit.  I had a good time chain piecing all my units like I did in the last block!


Then I played a little and tried some alternative layouts:
 This one was kind of fun - I was tempted to change my plan!

And this one was also interesting, but didn't work with the units I had already sewn.  Maybe another time!

 Here is the block laid out and ready to sew, then after it was completed. 
Here is how it looks when you sew them with sashing:

Kind of interesting with the cornerstones added.  I'm still learning the new EQ8 upgrade, but so far so good! 

Thanks for being patient and waiting for this week's block!  I'll be right on time Monday with our final unit - woohoo!  Four blocks to go and I'll be ready to put them all together into a colorful quilt...still deciding on sashing, but I'm getting closer :)

1 comment:

Joyce Carter said...

Thanks Pamela. I really like this block. It makes a beautiful quilt by itself.
Thank you for all the blocks. I have been collecting them and hope to get started on them by the first of next year. I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.