Friday, January 26, 2018

Trying out my new Instant Pot

I was very excited to get an Instant Pot for Christmas, but then I ended up with the flu, and between catching up on all the things I got behind in due to that, and the birthday weekend trip I really haven't used it much yet.  This week I've been working on changing that.  So far I am liking it, and I really like how quickly and easily it cooks a variety of foods.

I used it to make plain white rice and decided that it was a bit dry, so next time I'll add a bit more water.  Then I tried it for brown rice and it was perfection!  I have always struggled with brown rice, it has to cook forever and it never comes out right.  In the instant pot it was delicious and much faster.

Today I used it twice.  For lunch, I made hard cooked eggs.  Definitely a winner, and they peel so easily!  I loved not having to watch the water, or the time - just put the eggs on the rack, add water, close the lid and push the button.  After I put them in a cold water bath I sliced one up for my salad.  Delicious!


Then I got the idea to cook the fish we were planning on having for dinner in the Instant Pot.  I googled salmon recipes for the Instant Pot and found one that sounded like something we would like to eat:  Instant Pot Salmon with Garlic Potatoes and Greens.  I must say it was pretty darn good.
Since my filet was frozen I cooked it for 5 minutes, and it was still a bit underdone, so I put it under the broiler while I finished up the potatoes.  The potatoes were really good!  I can't wait to try more recipes.  Tomorrow I'll be testing out the Slow Cooker function on it and making beef stew. Perfect for a cozy day of sewing!  And I definitely want to try oatmeal in it.  I figure I can make a larger batch and refrigerate the leftovers to eat throughout the week.

Do you have an Instant Pot?  What's your favorite recipe?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great Canadian product! I am tempted to grab one myself...Jill in Phoenix/Calgary

Farm Quilter said...

I'm considering getting one, so I'm really interested in your experiences with them. I know there are facebook pages devoted owners/users of Instant Pots...I assume they share lots of recipes.

ShirleyC said...

I don't have an Instant Pot. My daughter bought us the Power XL air fryer because my husband had a heart attack in Dec. so I've been trying out different things. I really seldom fry anything in grease, but the fast food stuff can be a problem. I'm not one who loves to cook by any means so this is working great for us.
The fresh potato fries in the air fryer are so delicious! My daughter uses her instant pot a whole lot. I found all kinds of recipes on Pinterest for both types.

https://prayersformymom.blogspot.com/