Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Quilting the Chocolate Cherry Quilt!



I've been busy quilting my latest masterpiece - well at least I think it is! I absolutely am in love with the fabrics in this quilt.

Instead of just doing an allover design all over this quilt I decided to play a little. I did a paisley kind of a design in the heart. Love the feathery look it has to it. I enjoyed doing this, it was fun, and easy to fill the area with quickly. I used the same red thread for the top and the back here.







In the light background for the heart I quilted a loop and heart desing. Or are they leaves? I'll never tell. This has become my signature overall design, and works well on a lot of different quilts. It's a little fancier than a plain loop or meander, but I can do it easily. I used beige thread on the top and red on the back. I got a little color show on the front, but it didn't matter because I like the slight color it gives. It will probably disappear when the quilt is washed.



For the narrow border I did an up and down loop like a Christmas Candy Ribbon. A little tricky around the corners, but it wasn't too hard to work out. I like that it holds the border down, but is nice and curvy.

The outer checkerboard is done with an x in all the dark squares. I find this type of quilting to be tedious because of all the starts and stops. Luckily they are all in the binding area, so I don't have to worry about the thread ends. I used a darker red than the back thread for these. All the thread I used for this project is Aurefil 50 wt. My machine loves this thread, and I love the look of it.






Last, but not least, in the wider borders above and below the heart I decided to to a freehand feather design. I was a little nervous about it looking right, but it's really not bad! My feathers are improving vastly, and I'm feeling more confident using them in areas where it shows. I marked the center spine of my feather with a chalk pencil, and drew my idea out on paper before I did the quilting, but didn't mark the actual quilting lines.







No comments: