Friday, July 29, 2011

Laura's Luggage by StudioCherie


I need to catch up reviewing all the patterns I have sewn up this month! This is one of my favorite projects - Laura's Luggage. This pattern was as well written as the Luggage Tag pattern, and made a simply beautiful bag that would be perfect for a weekend away. It features two large outside pockets, two zipper pockets, and large inner pockets with elastic at the top.

I did have one issue with this pattern, and that was the fact that in order to get your full size pattern pieces you have to go to a copy store and have the page enlarged. This was the only pattern that I worked with that required this step, and I believe that the shop did a poor job of getting it to the correct size. I had to buy a longer zipper for the top closure and spent a bit of time fiddling to get things to line up correctly. I generally prefer having pattern pieces printed full size in patterns and having to tape the pieces together than having to worry about taking them to be enlarged and having them come out correct. But all is well that ends well and the bag came out terrific! It's a nice light weight and not too stiff, and the piping gives it a really classy look. Below is a peek into the large zippered pocket, which is hidden behind the outside panel pocket. The other pocket is a small one in the side that would be perfect to stash your keys in.The instructions and illustrations were perfect - and I appreciated the tip on sewing the lining to the outside at the top as it really made a difference in the finished bag. This is an easier bag to sew than the Amy Butler Weekender bag (less bulky), and has a similar style to it. Definitely one I would make again!

For more patterns by StudioCherie, check out her shop here.

No comments: