Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wednesday WIPS - Strip piecing!

I've been doing a lot of cutting and sewing, working on a custom order quilt inspired by my Northern Lights quilt.

  It's fun working like this, I'm pretty much just winging it and seeing how it develops as I go.  Pretty exciting!  I've got a bit to go as this will eventually be a king size quilt, but I've got all my strip sets sewn, so technically it is halfway finished - just have to do all the vertical sections :)  Well, truthfully, it's halfway done if you don't count adding borders, quilting and binding!  It's going to be gorgeous, though.  I found the perfect border fabric and backing, too (love fabricdepot.com)

I've been nursing a bad back the last few days, thanks to missing the bottom step while carrying a tote full of quilts down stairs.  I landed hard on my knees and gave my back a big jolt, so it hasn't been happy with me. Unfortunately I've been too uncomfortable to quilt, but I think I should be back on my game by the weekend.

Before my tumble I did take a bunch of quilts outside to take new pictures.  I was happy - had some nice early morning light and no wind!  When I brought them in I realized that my Christmas stars quilt had a spot on the back from it's time as a shop sample.  I decided the quilt needed to be washed so I used some soap and water to work on the spot, then set the quilt  by the washer to wait for the load in it to be done.  When I checked back I saw that there were red spots on the back of my quilt!  I realized that the red batik on the other side was bleeding through where it got wet from my spot cleaning - yikes!  I grabbed a color catcher sheet and threw the quilt in the washing machine, crossing my fingers very anxiously.  When the rinse cycle was finished I was delighted to see a very deep pink color catcher sheet and a perfectly unmarked quilt!  Woohoo!  After drying it I was so pleased with the crinkly texture of the quilt - I just love a washed quilt.  Beautiful!

And tonight I found the perfect pattern for a special quilt that is 3 years overdue - so even though I haven't done a lot of quilting this week, I've made a lot of progress with other quilt related chores.  I can't wait to get back to my sewing machine and sew a lot of stitches!

Linking up to the Quiltsy Team blog - come by and see what some other quilters have been up to this week!

1 comment:

thebutterflyquilter said...

I am just loving the new one. Those are my colors! Can't wait to see it finished. Take care of your back!