Friday, May 22, 2015

Update on May goals - Tooth woes

I set out to write this post earlier in the week, but it's been a challenging week for me.  I finally was able to get the tooth that has been bothering me checked out and it seems that this one is cracked as well.  If it is not all the way into the pulp it can be saved, but that entails a root canal, build up and crown ($2300)!  If not, then it needs to be extracted and close to double that for an implant.  So, I was feeling very discouraged for a bit.  I don't like dental work much, and I like the bills even less, but what can you do?  It needs to be done, so I will just settle in and let it roll over me as it comes.  I go in on Tuesday to see the endodontist, so good thoughts for saving this tooth, please!

Actually this tooth has an interesting history - it's been 25 years since the original large filling that replaces one of the cusps was done.  I will never forget the day that I broke it!  Back then we did not have direct deposit, so on payday I would meet my husband out on his mail route, pick up his check and take it to the bank.  Being young and with 4 daughters we definitely were living paycheck to paycheck so the gas tank in the van I drove was on the E, but the bank and the gas station were both close by, so I thought I could make it.  Unfortunately after I got the check from my husband the van would not start.  Since we weren't far from the post office, he told me to just go get his car and take it to cash the check.  So Tracy (#4 who was four at the time) and I walked over to the Post office to get the car.  We drove about half a mile when it sputtered to a stop - also out of gas!

I walked over to the bank (just a few blocks away), deposited the check, then called AAA to take care of our cars.  After the tow truck came and gassed up the car, I drove it to where the van was and waited for him to come get it taken care of.  While I was waiting I popped a stick of gum in my mouth and after a couple of chews, my tooth breaks!  When I spit out the fragment in disbelief I started laughing.  The tow truck driver pulled up right then, and I'm sure he thought I was a little insane because I could not stop laughing at the absurdity of this entire day.  I drove right over to the dentists office which was just down the street, and he put a temporary filling on it.

The rest of the story happened on the day he put the permanent filling on.  At that point he said I was on the border of needing a root canal and we would see how the filling held up. (Obviously it did well since it lasted this long) My sister was coming in for a visit with her two daughters that day so I was excited about that and ended up totally forgetting that I was supposed to pick up my nephew at the bus barn for my SIL.  (He was around 10 at the time)  I didn't even realize it until she came by to pick him up.  Poor kid, he was stranded there for two hours - though I can't figure out why no one called to check on me.  I still feel horrible about that!  Hopefully there won't be as much drama with the next chapter in this tooth's tale!

Anyway - about that list for this month...

1)  Finish Quiltsy Block of the Month 2012 top - not touched
2)  Finish Star Shuffle - just need to finish quilting the borders and bind!
3)  Finish Quilting Blue and White Stars  Done!
4)  Baste and Quilt the top I finished in March.  Thread arrived yesterday and this is looking like a finish!
5)  Complete Shop Sample  I ran into some problems with the pattern, but this should be done as well.
6)  Finish piecing Joy Quilt - Added the skinny rainbow border.  Lots more to do, but I am making progress.

This was a very ambitious list for the month and I am pleased with my progress.  I don't know that I'll make it all the way through, but it will keep me motiviated through the next week, whatever happens with my dental appointment.  Quilting is good therapy for whatever ails you, right?


No comments: