Saturday, July 09, 2016

Chistmas in July Border One

I added the first border to my Christmas in July project  This is the Points Out border in EQ7.  I thought it was perfect for my quilt - I like the way it echos the star point triangles.  I wanted to introduce one of the lighter fabrics in my fat quarter bundle, and I think it sets off the center very nicely.

The second fabric I used is the Christmas tree fabric.  This is a fabric I could see myself using a lot - it's not strictly a Christmas fabric, just a nice pine tree design that would works in lots of projects!
Since it is directional I had to think about the cutting for this one!  It worked out perfectly because I used the same method for cutting the triangles as in the Ohio Star block.  It takes two 5 1/4 inch squares cut in half diagonally so I just had to makes sure to keep the triangles sorted correctly.  It's a little tricky sewing the triangles to each other because you have to offset them just right, but if you put a pin through the seam line at the corners it's easy to match them up just right.

I used this fabric for the corners - another favorite:

I'm having a great time designing as I go with this project!  I'll probably add another 2 or three borders, then call it done.  Tomorrow, I will show you  how I use EQ7 to design a medallion style quilt - this is a fun way to make a quilt that isn't just blocks and sashings.  Plus I have some tips on making sure your units are a size that is easy to cut.

1 comment:

Charlene S said...

I just love that pine tree fabric!