Saturday, August 20, 2016

Rounding up the week

It's been a busier than average week, what with my birthday, posting for the Seaside Summer Blog Hop and working all day at Threads That Bind yesterday!  Despite all of that I got a lot done.  Before I get to that, though - I forgot to show the fat quarter bundle that I am giving as a prize for Seaside Summer!  Here they are:


I really like the black one - it shows the beautiful print so well, but it just didn't fit into my quilt.  I hope the winner finds a good use for it!  

The first project off my list was a custom order quilt.  This is the fifth quilt I've made in this design - it's been fun for me to make these - they have been thank you gifts for people involved in serving on a board.  I had a bit of a snafu with the green strips in the border - cut them all too small and had to recut.  Luckily I had enough fabric, with a bit of piecing in a few of the sections.  Luckily it really doesn't show!

The light streaks are the sun shining through the slats of the fence.   This is a close up of one of those border blocks.  They finish at 7 3/4 inches, so the measurements are all really odd for cutting it out - that's my only excuse!
I made a shop sample for the quilt shop this week - another version of my CityScapes pattern.  I had hoped to finish it on Wednesday, but ended up adding the binding Thursday morning and running it to the quilt shop just in time to be packed for the show this weekend!
This is a fun scrappy quilt, made with fat quarters.  It takes 14 fat quarters 1 1/2 yards for sashing and binding, plus another fat quarter for the cornerstones.  I love all the fun nautical prints in it!  
I also worked on getting some pillows started for the Design studio.  They are really soft and nice, but the fabric sheds like crazy and made a hug mess in my sewing room.  I didn't have enough of the dark blue, so added some of the tan to bring the covers to size.  It was interesting mitering that fabric!  A total of 16 corners for two pillows, it was good practice so I don't lose my skills at it.  (Rolling my eyes)
I also had to make a lanyard that sold on Etsy.  The last strip of the mushroom fabric!
Yesterday was a no sewing day since I had to work all day, so I was excited to do some sewing today!  I finished up those pillows, but unfortunately had a zipper fail in one, so I'll be replacing that sometime next week.  Boo.  Then I cleaned up the sewing room and started a double slice layer cake.  Someone commented on my Seaside Summer post that they were working on one so I had to look it up.  I've been looking for some good layer cake ideas since I won three from the EQ social media contest!  I've got the first slice done, so look forward to working on that tomorrow.  

I also basted my Jelly Roll Race quilt for the Quiltsy Team challenge.  I had some issues with my backing on this one - I had a nice piece of fabric in my stash to use, but after I cut the pieces I realized that I had previously cut a long strip out of the side of it for another quilt back!  I was about 8 inches short, so had to find something else to add.  Then, when I laid it out on my table I saw the 4 inch square missing from another corner!  Luckily I was able to get it laid out without needing to add to the corner.  If I did need to add some fabric, I would have just made a label to put there.  Here is a peek at it before basting.

I like it pretty well and I think it will be pretty after quilting.  The fabrics are lovely.  I think I'll choose a blue to quilt it, but with all the colors in this, there are a lot of choices.  Well, that's my progress for the week.  Next week I have a slipcover due, so will be working on that, but I know I'll be doing some quilting as well, plus adding sleeves to quilts for the quilt show coming up in September.  

Don't forget my giveaway for the Seaside Summer blog hop ends next week - please let me know if you can't leave a comment, I would be glad to manually enter your name!  I know that some people have had problems with that.  Next time I won't make that a required option.  Send me an e-mail, and I will add your name to the drawing.  Thanks for all of your lovely comments, and good luck!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Love the fabric choices!

JANET said...

Love those colors together.

Unknown said...

Very busy lady. Your quilts are colourful. I would be overjoyed to win the batiks. Happy Quilting :) smivany@gmail.com

Pamela said...

I love all your creations - you certainly are a prolific and talented quilter! Thanks for the inspiration and for the giveaway of the beautiful fabrics!