Friday, October 28, 2016

Vintage Finish - Trip Around the World

Another vintage finish for this week - this was a twin size Trip Around the World Block that the owner desired to be sized up to a King size quilt!  It was a bit of a challenge because a king size quilt is pretty much a big square, so I needed to add a lot more border to the sides than to the top and bottom.

I started out by adding an 8inch section to each side using a matching piece of vintage fabric I scavenged from another top of my own.  I like that one much better without all the purple borders - and they matched this quilt perfectly!  Then I added more borders with three different reproduction prints.  The purple and orange floral is my favorite - it's just a happy print.

After I got the borders on came the ordeal of basting this huge quilt.  I used my dining room table, carefully centering the top along the edge of the backing and batting.  Then I pinned, carefully moved the quilt, pinned more, and so on until I got it done.  I did well - no wrinkles on the back side at all!


It took several days to do all the quilting.  I finished this one off using a meandering pattern as well.  I used a light purple 50 wt Aurifil on the top and tan on the bottom.  It worked out just great!
I used the last border fabric for the binding as well.  See the yellow and brown diamond at the top?  It's a different little touch to this quilt.


I'd love to know why the maker of this quilt added it.  I've never seen one like it.  It gives it a little more pizzazz.  I'm not sure if I would put it at the top of the bed or the bottom. I guess you could go either way!

On a king size bed you'll see that purple strip on the top of the mattress instead of the side.  It matches perfectly so I think it will look nice.

I'm glad to have this project done.  Next on my list is the Pineapple quilt I am making as a special order.  I nearly have the top together, so will hopefully get it quilted tomorrow.  My list is long for November, so I have to keep moving on!

I've got another vintage finish coming up later, but not next week.

Linking up with Myra for Finished or Not Friday on her blog - Busy Hands Quilting.  Come by and see what everyone else is working on!


Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

2 comments:

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

It's just beautiful, and so precious to finish an antique quilt! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

Kathy E. said...

The updated vintage quilt is gorgeous! How creative of you to add the borders and make it look like they were always there. I do like that diamond near the top/bottom, too. It really gives the quilt a special touch!