Monday, January 23, 2017

Anvil Block - Fun with Asymetrical Blocks

This week's alternate block for Quilter's Recipe Box is the Anvil block.  This block uses the same units once more, but this time I've chosen to just use one color and the background.

Just like the last three blocks, sew the four half square triangle units.  If you are cutting accurately and sewing accurately all you will need to do is trim the dog ears and your units should measure correctly
Arrange them as I have shown - notice that this block has a definite diagonal alignment going on.  I'll show you some fun ways you can make the most of this later!

Sew the rows together, then the colums - press your seams away from the triangle blocks.
Oops, I noticed I had a little wobble in one of my seam lines!
Easy to fix and I didn't even bother with a seam ripper.  Just resewed the seam so it was nice and straight.
Now, what kind of a quilt can you make using this block?  Here are a few lay-outs from EQ7
This one has a nice look to it.  Lots of room for some fun quilting!
This one has a nice zig zag look to it.
This one looks like exploding twin stars!
And here is a single star exploding - this one is my favorite.

Next Monday I'll have some show and tell blocks - send me an email at pamelaquilts@gmail with a picture of your blocks that you have made, I'd love to show them off!

I forgot to remind you about the New Beginnings Blog posts for last week, so here is the list for last week and this week - make sure you visit and let my fellow Island Batik Ambassadors know how much you love their projects!

Monday, January 16 – Glowing Embers
Purrfect Spots Designs
Tuesday, January 17 – Lake Life
Freemotion by the River
Wednesday, January 18 – River’s Edge
Ark Angel Creations
Jennifer Sewing
Friday, January 20 – Blushing Blooms
Desert Bloom Quilting
Monday, January 23 – Gone Fishin’
Maria Michaels Designs
Wednesday, January 25 – Surf and Sand
The Patchwork Pearl
Beaquilter
Thursday, January 26 – Twilight Blush
KISSed Quilts
Friday, January 27 – Happy Harvest
For Quilts Sake

No comments: