Monday, April 24, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box, Nine Patch alternate block 3

 Welcome to another post on the Quilter's Recipe Box!  For today I have a fun block - I think this one is cute as a Button!  (because it looks like a button!)

For this block you will only need to make one nine-patch unit, so we won't be using strips.  You will need five 1 1/2 inch squares, four 3 1/2 inch squares, and two 3 7/8 inch squares cut in half for half square triangles using a colored fabric.  Then cut four 1 1/2 inch squares, and two 3 7/8 inch squares (cut in half diagonally also) of your background fabric.
 To make the nine patch block, lay out a nine patch block using your 1 1/2 inch squares.  Sew into a nine patch unit, which will finish at 3 1/2 inches.
 I like to sew them just like I sew a full size quilt block.  Sew the first two columns together, keeping them in a chain, then add the third column.
 Finish by sewing the columns together to make your unit.  Then sew four half square triangle units.  Lay out like below:
 And sew together into a finished block!  Cute as a button, right?

That's it for this month, next Monday I'll be back with a new unit and more blocks to sew.  We are now 1/3 of the way through making blocks.  If you have made all of the blocks, you will have 16 finished already!  Here is what they look like all together:

I'm loving all the color in this quilt!  I'm starting to think about what I will need for sashing these blocks.  I haven't really decided yet, but I have my eye on a couple of fabrics that I think will work.  I'm using the Dotalicious line that I received from Island Batik for being an Ambassador.  The block designs are my own, based off of traditional quilt blocks.  Thanks for following along!

No comments: