Monday, June 12, 2017

Ornate Star - Alternate block for Square in a Square Unit for Quilter's Recipe Box

Sorry to be so late today with my post.  I usually like to get the blocks worked up early so I can write my post over the weekend, but that did not happen this week.  I was busy doing some secret sewing for Island Batik!  I'll be sending my quilt out for the Fall Winter Catalog tomorrow, but I can't share about it until September.  That't the hardest thing about making projects for fabric companies - you work so far ahead and have to keep the fabric hidden until the appropriate time!  But it is fun, too!



On with the block!  This one is Ornate Star from EQ7.  It uses four Square in a Square units as well as four Quarter Square Triangle Units.  You will need to cut five 3 1/2 squares of a focus fabric, and sixteen 2 inch squares of a light fabric.  Then you will need two 4 1/4 squares of a secondary fabric, one 4 1/4 square of a light fabric, and one 4 1/4 square of background fabric.
Sew four Square in a Square units using the light 2 inch squares and four 3 1/4 inch squares of four focus fabric.

Sew four Quarter square triangle blocks using the secondary fabric, light fabric and background fabric as in the Twinkle Star instructions.

Lay them out like this:
And sew them together to complete your block:
I love how this one came out!  I wasn't too sure about using so much of that vibrant green, but it looks great with the darker green and blue.  These fabrics are from the Dotalicious line from Island Batik.  Click here to see them all - really lovely colors and designs!   If you can't find them locally they are available online in a variety of places including Hancock's of Paducah.

Come back next week - I'll have another block using the Square in a Square unit - I can't believe that just a couple more blocks and I'll have hit the halfway point for this project!  Lots more great blocks to come, so I hope you are following along.  You can find links for all the blocks at the top under the Quilter's Recipe box tab if you've missed any or if you want to catch up.  Lots of great blocks and ideas for quilts available there.

Hopefully I'll have more quilting to share this week - I've caught up on most of the urgent deadlines and am ready for some serious quilting!


No comments: