Monday, September 18, 2017

Flying Geese - Burst Block for Quilter's Recipe Box

Greetings!  I know my blog has been really quiet lately - turns out that we had no access to wifi during our trip to Colorado so it made it a little difficult to keep up with posting here except for last week's block.  I'm glad to be home, and hopefully will get caught up quickly with all the things I am behind in, like blog reading and instagram!

This week's block is a fun one - I call it Burst.  

To make this block you will need three different colors plus background fabric.  Cut one 3 1/2 inch square plus eight 2 inch squares for the center star, four 2 x 3 1/2 rectangles and eight 2 inch squares from the second fabric, and four 2 inch squares and four 3 3/8 squares (cut in half diagonally for half square triangles) from the third fabric.  From the background fabric cut four 2 inch squares, four 3 3/8 inch squares (cut in half diagonally for half square triangles) and four 2 x 3 1/2 inch rectangles.


For this block I'll be making two different colors of flying geese that will go together to make a chevron shape.  Make four geese from color one rectangles and color two squares, and make four with color two rectangles and background squares.


Sew them together so that the color two units form the chevron.

Make sure you don't cut off your point when you sew them together.


Lay these out to form a star in the center that is echoed by the chevrons.
 Next, sew half square triangles from the 2 3/8 inch color three and background units.  Use the color three and background squares to make a butterfly unit.  Place these at the corners facing out.

Sew them together and you have this stunning block.
This block would make a fabulous quilt - I love the way it radiates out from the center.  Next week I have another great block - I love how versatile the Flying Geese units are - very fun to design with!

I'm getting ready for my Wednesday post for the Island Batik blog hop - can't wait to show you my quilt.  I just have to quilt the last border, so it will be ready just in time.  I am glad I had the top done early because the last few weeks haven't been very productive for quilting.  I am looking forward to fall and getting more time for sewing and quilting - and more to blog about!

Are you ready for fall, or sad to see the end of summer?

1 comment:

Annie said...

That's a lovely star, and I adore that particular color combination, so lively!