Monday, September 11, 2017

Flying Geese Unit -

Welcome to the  second block this month for the Quilter's Recipe Box.  There are so many ways to use Flying Geese units that I had a hard time choosing, but this week I decided to make a block that I call Mountain Peaks.


I like this color way, but for this block I sewed I used a different color scheme!  To make a block like mine you will need to cut the following: Eight 2 x 3 1/2 inch squares of your main color, one 3 1/2 square and two 3 7/8 inch squares of your accent color (cut the 3 7/8 inch squares in half diagonally for half square triangles) and from your background color cut sixteen 2 inch squares and two 3 7/8 inch squares (cut in half diagonally for half square triangles).  

Using the main color rectangles and 2 inch background squares, sew 4 double flying geese units and place them so they will be on the sides of the block facing out:

From the triangles, sew four half square triangle units and place them so the background triangles are on the outside corners of the block:
Of course, when I got to this point, I decided to play with the placement of my units.  Rotate the outside corners and you get a very different look:
Turn the flying geese facing inwards and you get a whole different look:
I happened to like the second one the best, so I sewed my block together that way:

Try rearranging the units in your blocks and see if you come up with an alternative layout that you like!  You could also make a sampler quilt by using blocks made with the same units, but different layouts.  There are so many options in quilting!

We are having a wonderful vacation, but no wi-fi, so I probably won't be posting anymore until later in the week.  I'm looking forward to catching up later and sharing more.  In the meantime enjoy this block and have fun making it.

No comments: