Monday, October 23, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box Unit 10 - Alternate block 2 - Criss Cross

I'm baaack!  Wow, it was kind of nice to have a week off!  It gave me a little time to catch up and work ahead on my blocks, so I am actually ready for the end of the year.  I don't know about you, but it's a lot easier for me to start projects than it is to finish - and this is a big project to finish!  This is block 39 and there are 9 blocks left to finish out the year.  This unit is a challenging one to design with, but I came up with this block that I named Criss Cross.  I seem to be really liking arrow themed blocks this year!

This block features our Split Half Square triangle unit plus a regular quarter square triangle and nine patch units.


You will need to cut twenty 1 1/2 inch squares and two 3 7/8 squares (cut in half diagonally) from your background fabric.  From color one and color two, cut eight 1 1/2 squares and two 4 1/4 inch squares (cut in half diagonally both ways and set aside two of the eight triangles)

Make four sets quarter square triangle pairs from color one and color two quarter square triangle units.  Make sure to sew two of them with color one on top and two with color two on top.

Sew a background half square triangle to each of these, and lay out as the corners of your block.  Notice the color orientation.  Red faces red, blue faces blue!

Sew a quarter square triangle unit for the center of the block.

Then sew four nine patch (two from each color) and add to the sides of the block.  Make sure you have your colors aligned correctly!

Sew together and you have your finished block.

If you are new, make sure to check out the complete list of blocks on my Quilter's Recipe Box tab at the top of the page - there are also links to download all 10 recipe cards! 

Happy Quilting!



No comments: