Monday, December 18, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box Alternate block for Triangle in a Square Unit - Christmas Delight

Today I give you the 47th block in the Quilter's Recipe Box series - it's been a fun process and a challenge for me.  I am very pleased in the fact that I have followed through and completed my vision for making all of these blocks and sharing them with my readers!  This block I have called Christmas Delight.  It features the Triangle in a Square unit combined with Half Square Triangles and a Square in a Square for the center (my fabrics were provided by Island Batik):

You will want a dark green, light green and red fabric to make this block as seen here.

For the Triangle in a Square unit, you will need eight red half rectangle pieces for a 3 1/2 inch unit (four righties, and four lefties) and four large triangles from light green.  You will also need one 3 1/2 square of the light green for the center unit and two 3 7/8 inch squares cut in half for the Half Square Triangle units.  From the dark green cut two 3 7/8 inch squares cut in half for the Half Square Triangle units and four 2 inch squares for the center Square in a Square unit.

Sew the four Triangle in a Square units and place them with the red points facing out for the star points.


 Sew the four Half Square Triangle units and place them in the corners with the dark green on the outside and sew the Square in a Square for the Center.
Sew together, matching the points of the center unit with the Triangle in a Square point.  Your finished block will look like this:
This block looks especially striking when placed on point as I have illustrated below:

.

Have a great week!  Hope your Christmas projects are coming along, I know I will be working on mine!

2 comments:

Joyce Carter said...

Thank you Pamela. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

teachpany said...

Love the setting on point. Looks great!