Thursday, July 05, 2018

Throwback Thursday - Red Sky at Night, Red Sky at Morning

I love looking back at some of the quilts I have made in the past.  This was a fun quilt that I started in a quilt guild workshop on charm squares.  We swapped 5 inch squares of fabric, then started sewing!  I decided to use triangles for my quilt, and arranged them in stars.  I called this one Red Sky at Morning, and enjoyed the process of playing with the various fabrics and arranging them into an impressionist version of a sunset.

I also had a lot of fun free motion quilting this, adding a cabin, stones, water and trees. After I sold this first one, I received a request to make the same quilt in a horizontal layout - luckily I had saved all the leftover halves  of the triangles and was able to make the second one easily.  It came out just as nicely:  Red Sky at Night went to a great home as a first quilt in their home - don't you just love that?
I was thinking of these quilts as I started working on my project for a future blog hop.  These are the mystery fabrics from my last Ambassador box from Island Batik - Globe Trotter.  The quilt I am planning is pretty ambitious and will definitely feature lots of half square triangles!  Here is a trial run for my idea - I'll be fine tuning it as I go, but I think it's really going to be wonderful.

Don't the colors blend together so nicely?  You will definitely have to keep your eye out for the blog hop coming in August - don't worry, I'll be letting you know when to expect it.

Speaking of Blog Hops, Marian at Seams to Be Sew has put together an awesome lineup for this years Row Along - lots of great prizes and adorable row patterns!  Can't wait for this one to start!


Thanks to MMMQuilts for hosting Throwback Thursday and giving me the urge to share some of my quilts that I haven't blogged about!


1 comment:

JanineMarie said...

What a neat idea for a quilt. I like that you used motifs in the quilting that could be discovered apart from the pattern of the sunset. And it’s amazing to me that you just happened to have all those leftover triangles to be able to fulfill the request for a similar quilt.