Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I can't believe it's that time of year again, the Blogger's Quilt Festival!  It seems to always sneak up on me, maybe because of my local quilt guild show. Thanks for joining me - I've got a fun quilt to share this year.  I'm going to show you the quilt that I just entered at my local show.  I don't really have a name for this quilt.  I've just been calling it my Retro Wild quilt because the fabrics look retro to me and they are definitely wild.
This is what happens when you take a crazy wild bunch of fabric that you purchased at a super cheap red tag clearance sale and make it into a sample quilt because you are teaching a class and need something to show your students as examples of the techniques!  They all loved the colors and blocks so much, that I decided to go ahead and make the whole quilt.   I wasn't sure about using that crazy wriggly stripe in the sashing, but it worked.  And another stripe in the border just to finish it off.

I've had the top pieced for several years, and even had the backing picked out.  I got it basted earlier this year, but it just ended up sitting and waiting for it's turn to be finished.  I decided to enter it in my guild show so that I would finally quilt it, but when I got sick with that nasty bug in August I forgot about it again.  Then, I got my registration card for the quilt show two weeks ago and realized that I needed to quilt this NOW.
First I did a stitch in the ditch around all the blocks and sashing, then I just got started quilting.  I picked out a range of Aurifil thread in colors to match, and quilted each block whatever design came to mind at the time.
I spotted an OOPS after I got started, but decided to leave it in.  Can you spot it?

I got the quilt finished in time to hang in the show, so I was really happy.  Next year I am only entering quilts that are 100% finished!

Love the polka dot back!  It was fun to try a bunch of different free motion designs.  I have two more tops made from the same pattern (Quilter's Primer).  One I plan to hand quilt.  The last one I will probably machine quilt, but I will have to think about how I want to quilt it. Maybe I can get that one done for next year!

Thanks for taking a look at my quilt - I didn't win a blue ribbon, but I am still super happy with how it came out.

Make sure you go visit Amy's Creative Side to see lots of fun quilts!  Enter a quilt of your own, too - the more the merrier!  Plus that, she's got lots of prizes and you could win one - that's always fun!

Have a wonderful day!

12 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

You should be very happy with this quilt, it's great! I love the joyful blend of fabrics and colors, and that striped sashing!

Alison V. said...

This is such a fun and happy quilt! :D

Tami Von Zalez said...

I see it (wayward four patch facing the wrong direction). I too like your creation, I am furiously binding my quilt for entry ~

Jocelyn said...

Love this quilt!

Nancy said...

I really like the layout of the blocks in this quilt and I especially like the four stars in the center. What a lot of detail in the quilting!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love the honorary name--Retro Wild!!! The colors are so wild that it makes this quilt very distinctive.

Denise said...

Gorgeous

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty quilt!

Gretchen said...

How very pretty!

Nana said...

Isn't if funny how when you push a quilt to the side and finally get it finished, how great it looks and proud you feel. Lovely quilt.

Cille said...

Love it - especially because the colours are a bit unusual for a traditional sampler. It gives your quilt a lot of energy :)

Cheryl said...

I love all of the different blocks in this quilt and the quilting makes it extra special!