Sunday, November 04, 2018

Time off is a wonderful thing!

We had a wonderful well-deserved week of vacation!  We traveled to visit our grandchildren (and their parents) and just enjoy some time away from all the work we've been doing.  We have made it a routine to go up for a week in the fall, and the weather was actually quite good despite the forecast for rain.

We enjoyed watching football, soccer, swimming and gymnastics!  We walked the Nike campus with our son-in-law who works there.  Gorgeous place - and got in 2.2 miles while on our tour.
 Kids and water!
 Sweet statue - me and my beloved years from now!
There is a large berm build up around the campus from when they created this beautiful lake area - instead of paying to haul it away, it was put to good use!

My little climber - she's always busy!  I was in charge of her while her brother had soccer practice.  

We also enjoyed our time in Washington - I got to make a Halloween costume for my granddaughter there.  Luckily I had my sewing kit with me, I just hand-stitched felt to a t-shirt and embroidered a spiral onto a felt cone for the horn:
We also got to meet the new pup, Port:
Isn't she a cutie?  She's almost 4 months old and is a goldendoodle.  Her favorite game?  Grab something you don't want her to have and run!  She's teething and loves to chew on ice cubes.  She was lots of fun to play with!

It was so nice to relax - I brought a project from home to work on while sitting around.  This is my husband's sofa blanket.  It's probably about 20 years old and very well used!  The binding was a mess, actually the whole thing was pretty much a mess.  I offered to make a new one, but he really was hoping to get some more years with this one!  So I am patching the holes, adding some quilting and replacing the binding.  Fingers crossed it will hold together in the laundry afterwards!

Last time I repaired the quilt I added some ties through the center of the paisley blocks.  Every single tie ripped through the upper fabric.  So lots of little holes in those to be repaired.
This end was pretty shredded! I had to trim about half the outer border off before replacing the binding.  Much better looking now!  

 I also added some big stitch quilting with the Aurifil 12 wt I used for my October challenge (2610).  I stitched along every other row of squares.  The back looks like a big mess, but at least it won't rip the top like the ties did.  It's a dark blue, just looks washed out in this photo.

Speaking of washed, that's where it is now, then my happy hubby will have his beloved blankie back.  I'm going to start on a new one anyway, though, because I don't think this one will last much longer!

I had a wonderful week of hand stitching, now it's back to the sewing studio for lots of speedy machine work.  My list is long for November, and I've got to get busy crossing items off my list.

Linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching on Kathy's blog!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love seeing my quilts fall apart, actually! Means they were used as intended and were well loved! You did a great repair job on this one, but starting a replacement seems smart as well :) Glad you had a good vacation!