Saturday, January 26, 2019

Project Quilting 10.2 Red, White and Blue - Patriotic Windmills

I totally surprised myself this week and got my project done early on!  When I saw the challenge for the week I knew right away that I would work on my bag full of patriotic fabrics.  I'm not too sure why all my patriotic fabrics are stored this way, I think it was a remnant from a prior project and I thought I would use them again, but I really haven't. 

First of all I dumped out the whole bag and pulled out the pieces that had other colors in them.  I came upon a bunch of pieces from demonstrating a disappearing windmill block for quilt guild several years ago.  So I sewed those all together to make the center of my quilt.
Well, that looks pretty good!  How about a border or two?  I had a couple nice size pieces that would make good borders.

Hmm.  This one's been hanging around for a while, hasn't it?


Before you know it, I had a nice size top ready for quilting.  At this point, I decided to sew together more bits and pieces for a back.  Simply in the interest of reducing the amount of fabric in that bag, you know.
I used some Hobb's natural cotton, and a spool of Aurifil Thread and quilted it up in an afternoon.
I wanted red for the binding, but ended up settling for the blue with silver stars.  That got stitched down with blue Aurifil.

You can see the stars and loops better on the back.

Those two four patch squares were part of those demo pieces, too!  Nice that I got all of those old demo pieces used up finally!

Patriotic Windmills measures 43 x 43 inches and is for sale in my Etsy shop!  Made by me (Pamela) here in Coos Bay, Oregon. 

Thanks to Kim for another great challenge, make sure you stop by after tomorrow morning and vote for your favorite!

See the rest of the challenge pieces here...
PQLogoHorizontalC


3 comments:

Turid said...

A lovely quilt, and even the back side is beautiful.

Kathy E. said...

Great work, Pam, and what a super way to use up pieces of fabric already in your stash! Someone will love having this patriotic project on display this summer!

PersimonDreams said...

This is wonderful! Love how you put this together!